Wednesday, December 5, 2012

HW 8: The Remakes of Korean Dramas in the Philippine TV



I have seen many movies, like American, Indian, Taiwanese, Korean and lot more. And I knew some of you are fond of watching these kind of movies. But you are still choosing what movie you watch.

Philippine TV found out that Korean dramas are more interesting and more likely to watch by the Filipino viewers, because of the characters and its whole story itself. And why they have a remake of it? Because it's easier to make and full of attraction with this kind of drama unlike others.

Why Philippine entertainment did not remake any American movie? In my own opinion, its stories are all about bloody, crime, gamble, war, political, romantic, and teen drama films. And its effects are hard to be able to do.

Like for example, this 1999 American crime thriller which is entitled Payback. The genre of this was crime thriller, action and adventure.

Porter is shot by his wife and best friend under the basement and is left to die. When he survives he revenge.

After I watched this movie, I see myself nervous and feels like I want to cry. I get pity to those people who got killed by him. It really makes me realize that this movie is hard to have a remake of the Philippine entertainment. One of the reasons why, because the effects are realistic.

As I go further of my research, I found this article The Remakes of Korean Dramas which explanatory of the Philippine version of Korean drama. The Philippine TV showed some original version of Korean dramas and some are not. But most of them become very famous in the Philippines. It also stated here that if Japan and Korea make good remake of any other country's drama, then the Philippines definitely has its ability to do a good job.

Philippine remake of Korean drama good or bad? Korean dramas are very popular in our country. Which led them to have their own version of their chosen drama such as Coffee Prince, My Name is Kim Sam Soon, Full House, Temptation of Wife, Endless Love, Stairway to Heaven, My girl, lot more. Even  though it was a remake, this still can touch the viewers heart and made them attracted.


When the Korean drama "My Girl" aired on prime time Philippine TV in 2006. It was dubbed in Filipino language and the Korean characters who played the role was also re-named Jasmine and Julian.

Filipino viewers fell in love with this romantic comedy series, and become hit in the Philippines. And ABS-CBN finally decided to have a remake of this drama with all Filipino artists.

And the GMA network also has its remake of a Korean drama, which is entitled "My Name is Kim Sam Soon". This is not the only dramas they have remade, there are lots of Korean dramas they are shown in Filipino version and again they're competing with each other.

In my own perception, remakes are just one of the way of entertaining people around the world. Even though it was a remake it could still make the viewer glued to their television. I’m proud because the Philippine entertainment has the ability to make a version of a drama like Koreanovelas. I know that this is like copying others work but still the writers add a twist to the story to make it new and different from its original version.

0 comments:

Post a Comment